TOBACCO CESSATION LINKS
ADHA is proud to partner with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to share and promote the first federal national tobacco education campaign — Tips From Former Smokers® (Tips®). The Tips campaign profiles real people — not actors — who are living with serious long-term health effects due to smoking cigarettes and secondhand smoke exposure. As prevention specialists, dental hygienists are in the perfect role to work with their patients who are ready to quit tobacco use. Check out our new tobacco cessation website to find resources for you as practitioners, educators and for your dental offices.
Provided by Margaret J. Fehrenbach, RDH, MS, State of Washington Smoking Cessation Consultant, Past ADHA Liaison to WDHA and Advisory Committee Member for ADHA Tobacco Intervention Initiative.
SITES FOR PATIENTS
GENERAL QUITTING SITES
- American Cancer Society
- CDC and Tobacco
- Healthline Article - Nicotine Addiction: What You Need to Know
- Tobacco Free Life
AND FROM NIH Benefits of Quitting Tobacco (making it real!)
The Great American Smokeout takes place every year in November by support of the 100-year old American Cancer Society to encourage smokers quit for at least one day, in hopes they will quit forever. Since 1977 communities have offered cessation classes, 'cold turkey' lunches, and more to support quitters during the Smokeout.
QUITTING SITES FOR TEEN AND KIDS
SITES ON TOBACCO-RELATED MOUTH DISEASE
- ◦Dental Problems Associated with Tobacco Use
- ◦Oral Cavity Cancer Screening for Patients
- ◦Smoking and Gum Disease
SITES ON MOUTH CANCER
SITES FOR DENTAL PROFESSIONALS
Program for Dental Hygienists: Save a Life in 3 Minutes (PDF)
- ◦Dental Professionals: Help Your Patients Quit Smoking (CDC) and the SURGEON GENERAL REPORTS ON TOBACCO ~ See cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/sgr/
ORAL DISEASE INFORMATION
- ◦National Cancer Institute Oral Cancer
- ◦Oral Cavity and Oropharyngeal Cancer Screening–for health professionals
- ◦Lip and Oral Cavity Cancer Treatment–for health professionals
- ◦Oral Complications of Chemotherapy and Head/Neck Radiation (updated 2015)
- ◦Healthy People 2020: Tobacco Use
- ◦Interventions for tobacco cessation in the dental setting (Cochrane Review)
MEDIA RESOURCES *
- ◦Tobacco Cessation Training Videos for Effective Motivational Interviewing: The University of Florida, Department of Psychiatry has put together two videos showing both an effectiveand ineffective motivational interviewing method for tobacco cessation.
QUICK QUESTIONS WITH QUICK ANSWERS FOR DENTAL PROFESSIONALS
- ◦Can training health professionals to ask people if they smoke increase offers of advice and help patients quit?
- ◦Can interventions delivered by mobile phones help people to stop smoking?
- ◦Can we increase adherence to medications that help smokers to quit?
- ◦Does motivational Interviewing help people who smoke to quit?
- ◦Does giving people feedback about the effects of smoking on their body help them to quit?